This center class opens up a whole new world of movement! Finis Jhung shows each exercise, Glenn Keenan of The New York City Ballet does it, Finis analyzes and coaches, and Glenn repeats. The class begins with slow exercises that teach you how to move "de côté" (sideways) while constantly changing feet and direction. You'll perfect your pas de bourrées dessous (under) and dessus (over). You'll develop balance and strength as you learn to relevé in passé and arabesque. The waltz step (pas de valse) teaches you to articulate your steps and develops correct alignment and balance. You will develop movement skills that allow you to change feet quickly, even as you switch directions and turn around.
Your elevation work includes petit pas de chats, changements, sissone simple, and échappé sauté. After you've mastered these centered exercises, you'll find you've gained strength, speed, and range of movement. To dance is to live.
Watch it Now!
The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique Level 3: Centerwork is also available to stream instantly on your computer or mobile device. Click here to learn more!
1. Tendu plié, pas de bourrée dessous, passé en arrière, port de bras
2. Pas de bourrée dessus, dessous, tendu, fondu arabesque, pas de bourrée en avant
3. Fondu derrière, pas de bourrée dessous-dessus, grand rond de jambe
4. Fondu arabesque, pas de bourrée dessous, pas de bourrée en tournant en dehors, fondu derrière, pas de bourrée dessous, temps lié
5. Pas de valse en avant & en arrière, temps lié, tendu pose
6. Relevé en arabesque, battement glissé, fondu derrière, pas de bourrée dessous
7. Pas de valse en arriére & en avant, relevé arabesque, pas de bourrée dessous
8. Slow relevé passé en arriére, relevé arabesque, pas de bourrée en tournant
9. Coupé terre à terre, relevé passé en arriére
10. Quick relevé passé en arriére, glissé-relevé arabesque, pas de bourrée dessous, changements
11. Petit pas de chat, fondu arabesque, changement
12. Changement, sissone simple derrière, pas de bourrée dessous-dessus, changement
13. Petit échappé saute, sissone simple derrière, pas de bourrée dessous, relevé arabesque, fondu arabesque, pose, chassé pas de bourrée en avant
New Ballet Music 7 - "From the Heart"
The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique Level 3 - Barrework
FJ Ballet Technique DVDs Package
ALL REGIONS DVD 65 minutes. 13 center exercises. Taught by Finis Jhung. Demonstrated by Glenn Keenan. Music by Scott Killian, New Ballet Music 7 - "From the Heart"
"Your Level 3 Centerwork DVD is amazing! I only wish I had found it before I purchased DVDs of other teachers and classes which were of no help to me at all. I learned more in the first few minutes of this video than I did in the other three DVDs combined!" - Lindsay Francis, Winfield, WV
"My classes are beginning to be transformed by the wonder and joy of dancing from the heart and soul. I am so sorry that I came upon your instruction so late." - Karen L. Watkins-Westebbe, Bright Lights Performing Arts Studio, Chesapeake, VA
"I'd like to give you my perspective on your DVDs, which I regard as the most powerful learning tools available to today's ballet student.
Although I deeply appreciate the teacher's corrections in my weekly adult ballet class, I feel that I'm able to learn more when I work solo with your DVDs. The problem is that when I'm in class and watch the demonstrations of the barrework and center work, my inability to remember the movements still throws me into a low-key panic. Because of my poor memory, I need movement models to follow, so I still have to find a place at the barre between two more competent dancers. Since I'm following rather than initiating the movements, I end up feeling like a failure as the class moves on to the next exercise and the demonstration once again throws me into a low-key panic.
On your DVDs, each exercise is thoroughly previewed before being demonstrated, which helps address my learning limitations. What I find even better, though, is the rewind/replay option the DVDs provide. If I'm not happy with the quality of my movement, I can take as much time as I need to practice it, and to refine it. On the other hand, since there's no rewind/replay option in a live class, I rarely attain the satisfaction of a decent level of mastery. In short, your DVDs allow the luxury of self-pacing, which, for me at least, is the key to success." — Ian Jackson, developer of the Acousticoaching™ CDs for the ballet-inspired BreathPlay System -- the power behind Olympic medals, world records, and world championships. (www.BreathPlay.com)