If you’ve never done a pirouette, or are having trouble turning, this is for you. You begin slowly, making half and full turns on two feet (assemblé soutenu); next, you make a full turn slowly on a flat foot (promenade); you add movement to the extended leg (grand rond de jambe) in another promenade; you will identify the muscles that turn your plié; and finally you will practice pirouettes en dehors and en dedans, concluding with a pirouette in the attitude position. Finis shows each exercise, Saige does it, Finis analyzes and corrects, and Saige repeats. After you’ve done the exercises in this video, you’re ready to work on Finis Jhung’s Pirouette Class 1. Now, who said you couldn’t turn?
Watch it Now!
The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique Level 4: Intermediate Centerwork on Turns is also available to stream instantly on your computer or mobile device. Click here to learn more!
1. Assemblé soutenu en tournant en dedans & en dehors (half turns)
2. Assemblé soutenu en tournant en dedans & en dehors (full turns)
3. Assemblé soutenu en tournant en dedans, promenade en dedans en attitude, arabesque pose, pas de bourrée en avant
4. Assemblé soutenu en tournant en dedans, détourné, glisser, tendu poses, promenade en dehors, demi grand rond de jambe en l’air, fondu, pas de bourrée dessous
5. Assemblé soutenu en tournant en dedans, pas de bourrée en tournant en dehors, promenade en attitude en dedans
6. Piqué assemblé soutenu en tournant en avant, promenade with grand rond de jambe to 4th arabesque
7. Half turn, plié en dehors
8. Full turn, pirouette sur le cou-de-pied, en dehors
9. Half turn, pirouette sur le cou-de-pied, en dedans
10. Full turn, pirouette sur le cou-de-pied, en dedans
11. Pirouette sur le cou-de-pied, en dehors, en dedans
12. Chassé pas de bourrée, tendu, pirouette sur le cou-de-pied en dehors & en dedans, pas de bourrée en tournant
13. Step-pose, pas de bourrée, pirouette en attitude en dedans
New Ballet Music 9 - "In the Moment"
The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique Level 4 - Intermediate Barrework
The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique Level 4 - Intermediate Centerwork on Jumps
FJ Ballet Technique DVDs Package
ALL REGIONS DVD 60 minutes. 14 exercises. Taught by Finis Jhung. Demonstrated by Saige Miller. CD Music by Scott Killian: New Ballet Music 9 - "In the Moment"
“I wanted to let you know that 4 of my students were chosen to dance with the Moscow Ballet Company when they performed The Nutcracker in Gillette, WY. The master ballet director, Olga, chose my students out of hundreds of children who auditioned because of their technique. Their technique is outstanding because I teach them what I have learned from you in your videos. The ‘how and the why’ makes all the difference in the world. Thank you again for sharing your ‘pearls of wisdom’ so we are better ballet instructors for our students. You are so gracious in your corrections. The words you choose and your tone of voice are very soothing and uplifting to the student— ‘you are the student, I know you can do this, and I’m going to show you how.’ I love way you break the movement into physics. I can correct someone, let them practice, and before they go home they have conquered their biggest fear such as turns. They get it!”
— Lori Bickford, RNC, BSN, MS
Director of Services, Weston County Public Health, Newcastle, WY
"The way you structure the turn exercises is wonderful - I can really feel the balance and the 'turn.' The exercises are slow but deliberate. I 'saw the light' when you said push onto the standing leg when doing assemble soutenu. I especially like the part where you show how to stay down in demi plié before going up to pirouette." - Chooi Chin Liew, Adult Student / Lecturer, Singapore, Singapore