Learn to step into the air and over-cross your glissade so you strike beautiful poses on flat, half-toe and in the air with speed and elegance. Each exercise teaches you how to correctly plié and relevé on one leg so you develop the muscular strength you need to have so that you can maximize your range of movement while avoiding injury. Finis Jhung breaks down each exercise in great detail and then it is superbly demonstrated by Antonio Carmena, soloist of The New York City Ballet, whose "beautiful line and astounding jumps" says The New York Times, are nothing short of "revelatory."
Watch it Now!
Get on Your Leg & Dance! is also available to stream instantly on your computer or mobile device. Click here to learn more!
Play the video in 3 modes: Full Class, Individual Exercises
or Workout Mode where you can run the exercises without instruction
PART 1. DANCING FORWARD (EN AVANT)
1. Fondu-developpé devant, tombé arabesque, passé par terre en arrière, port de bras
2. Fondu-relevé-developpé devant, tombé arabesque, passé par terre en arrière
3. Step en l'air, passé par terre en avant & en arrière, temps lié
4. Step fondu-relevé-developpé devant, tombé arabesque, passé par terre en arrière
5. Fondu-relevé-developpé devant, relevé arabesque, sous-sus, changements
6. Grand jeté en avant, passé par terre en arrière
7. Sauté, tombé, steps en avant, grand jeté saut de chat en avant, cabriole derrière
PART 2. DANCING SIDEWAYS (DE CÔTÉ)
8. Demi-plié, dégagé à la seconde, battement fondu developpé
9. Demi-plié, dégagé à la seconde, battement fondu developpé relevé
10. Glissade precipitée derrière, relevé dégagé, sous-sus, arabesque, temps lié
11. Glissade precipitée derrière, fondu-relevé-developpé à la seconde, step & pose
12. Petit jeté dessus, step, pointe
13. Assemblé dessus, step, pointe
14. Glissade precipitée derrière, petit jeté dessus, assemblé dessus, pas de bourrée
15. Glissade precipitée derrière, grand jeté à la seconde, pas de bourrée sauté
New Ballet Music 11 - "Illuminations"
The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique Levels 2 & Up - The Power Barre
ALL LEVELS. ALL REGIONS DVD 46 minutes. Taught by Finis Jhung. Demonstrated by Antonio Carmena. CD music by Scott Killian: New Ballet Music 11 "Illuminations"
“I wanted to let you know that 4 of my students were chosen to dance with the Moscow Ballet Company when they performed The Nutcracker in Gillette, WY. The master ballet director, Olga, chose my students out of hundreds of children who auditioned because of their technique. Their technique is outstanding because I teach them what I have learned from you in your videos. The ‘how and the why’ makes all the difference in the world. Thank you again for sharing your ‘pearls of wisdom’ so we are better ballet instructors for our students. You are so gracious in your corrections. The words you choose and your tone of voice are very soothing and uplifting to the student— ‘you are the student, I know you can do this, and I’m going to show you how.’ I love way you break the movement into physics. I can correct someone, let them practice, and before they go home they have conquered their biggest fear such as turns. They get it!”
— Lori Bickford, RNC, BSN, MS
Director of Services, Weston County Public Health, Newcastle, WY
"After applying what I learned and then taught from "Get on Your Leg and Dance!", one of my adult students exclaimed, "I feel like I can actually move across the floor now! I'm going to send my gymnast daughter here for help with her floor work."—Joyce DiLauro, Director, Starship Dance, Guilford, CT